Tuesday, March 13, 2012

All Things Midcentury

So, it's hard to believe this was my fourth year to attend the 20th Century Cincinnati modern show at the Sharonville Convention Center. Each year I've learned a few new things about attending this event, like get there early or you'll have to wait in a monstrous line, do at least two full tours around the floor or you might just miss something, and take advantage of the wisdom of the dealers to learn more about midcentury wares.

This year's Feb. 25-26 event was as good as ever, probably due to the expansion of the convention center space, which allowed for more elbow room and less lines at the door. The modern design of the new wing pays homage to the spirit of Cincinnati's deep-rooted modernism and seemed to elevate the event to a new level.

A collection of some fantastic midcentury classics
Beyond the mere $7 entrance fee, which is good for both days, I have never spent money at the show, but it doesn't mean I leave disappointed. Walking around for an hour or two is like walking through the pages of some of my favorite magazines. I consider it an education in all things midcentury from Bakelite jewelry to vintage Fiestaware, and from George Nelson clocks to the Eames molded plywood chairs. The highlight for me though was seeing an Eames rocker (not for sale) that supposedly belonged to one of my favorite artists, the late Charley Harper (see photo below), a native of Cincinnati.

Yellow Eames Fiberglass Chair
What else did I learn at this year's event? That I'm going to have to save up some big bucks if I ever want to purchase my beloved Eames lounge chair, but  I can get a knock-off for around $450.

As one dealer pointed out, collecting midcentury is an investment--you could put the money in a savings account with little interest gained, or buy a beautiful piece of well-made, iconic furniture you will not only be able to enjoy, but that will also appreciate in value year after year.

Here a few snapshots of some of my favorites from this year's show.

I was told this Eames rocker belonged to artist Charley Harper. It was sitting in the booth of the Charley Harper Estate.

Not everything at the show is classified as midcentury, like this cool industrial metal table above.
The show always has interesting artwork to choose from like this colorful print above.

No comments:

Post a Comment