Thursday, February 17, 2011

Bizarre in Berea

This past weekend something happened that hasn't happened in some time here in Lexington. The sun came out! The snow melted! It was finally time to awake from my winter slumber so my husband and I decided to take a drive down to Berea for an afternoon hike. Berea is known as Kentucky's "Folk Arts and Craft Capital" and I wasn't expecting to see any modern architecture there. So, you can imagine I was pleasantly surprised to see this bizarre building in the distance when we drove into town from I-75.


The closer we got I realized this modern collection of silver spheres was a school. In fact, it reminded me of my own high school in Lumberton, Miss. which had a similar curved aluminum roof, and another school, Huffman High,  in my hometown of Birmingham, Ala.

But neither of these schools had what this Berea school has. The feature that makes this building so cool is its sci-fi steeple rising from the middle dome. This school looks like it was dropped from another planet...something you might expect to find in Roswell, New Mexico, but surely not on your way to the woods in the middle of Kentucky.


The mother ship has landed in Berea, Ky.





We did make it to the trail that day. Take the trailhead at the  Indian Fort Theater to see this view.

Photos by Amy W. Richardson


No comments:

Post a Comment